cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 51

Re: Full Fibre 900 - 40mbps?

Yeh was a home  tech expert. I was expecting an openreach one. By 120mbps I mean using fast.com thats what speeds he got connecting his laptop by wifi to the router and got 50mbps by cable direct to the ONT box. Ont box gave less than the wifi speed on the router

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 51

The engineer was outsourced by BT so was not directly connected with OpenReach . The router was first thought to be faulty and a slight improvement was seen initially using the replacement router but soon settled into the old speeds. The Wi-Fi speed was measured using the Ookla App on my laptop using the same servers so to keep a control source of measurement. The engineer found that the disk worked better when my RG45 cat5 cable was removed and using it Wi-Fi. He then connected it using his own Cat8 cable and saw a great improvement in speed on his equipment. Having connected my laptop with his Cat8 cable I saw a vast improvement in speed so that was deemed the best solution to have decent download speeds. Still down on that advertised, but when I pointed this out was told speeds are guaranteed only to the house and not after the router. He said he would report poor rf distance from the Wi-Fi disk and would recommend more are needed for good coverage around the bungalow but nothing heard since. Seems a bit smoke and mirrors to me
0 Ratings
Message 43 of 51

Yeh tbh mate if i can even get 300mbps ill leave it at that. If not gonna have to take this to the regulator cuz I mean according to BT their wee app down south says im getting 900mbps to my flat so they are giving me what they promised. Doesnt matter that not even the engineers can even get 100 in the flat cuz their app says i can. Kinda feels a bit like the VW emissions scandal.

I mean if i am now paying £40-50 a month for worse speeds than talktalk was at £19.99 that cant be legal in any form

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 51

What makes me particularly uneasy is the engineer connected his phone to wifi and got 300mbps for 10 seconds then it plummeted to 100mbps. I mean ok fair enough but the hardwired computer could not break 60mbps. I mean if we just looked at wifi speed we could write it off as "everything is kinda fine but sporadic" but wifi should never be getting better speeds than a wired connection so something HAS to be wrong.

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 51

Yeah, you have every right to be annoyed with this. I would be too. I've not looked back through your thread so I may well be repeating what someone else may have already mentioned here.

BT should be offering you a Speed Guarantee. I think mine is at 700Mbps minimum, but this will only be useful if your reported speeds direct to the Smart Hub 2 fall below this.

You can check you hub speed using the MyBT app, this should be on your mobile app store. The fact your mobile device is on WiFi in this instance is irrelevant, as this test is only reporting on the speed delivered to the Smart Hub 2 and not the devices on your own network.

I am also on Full Fibre 900. The speeds on mobile devices do drop to around 40Mbps mark when upstairs - not suggesting this is your issue as you have already tried wired. However, whilst sat in the same room as the BT Smart Hub 2, my Wifi devices such as laptops or mobile phones get around 550Mbps.

On my Xbox Series X which is wired with CAT6 cable, if I run fast.com test using the Xbox's Edge browser I get 1Gbps reported. Although active downloads are much slower than this on the Xbox and I just put that down to Microsoft putting some sort of speed cap on their game downloads. PS5 generally fairs much faster for active game downloads.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 51

Hey man i don't mind if its been covered, just appreciate that u didnt talk down to me lol. Well this is what the issue is. THeyre measuring 900mbps down but their speed guarantee they say is just to the ONT box. If inside the flat i cant get even 40 they dont care cuz thats not what they measure. Now I have big questions over whether that is legal because only the special BT software can tell how fast the connection is to the BT box they installed that nobody has any access to. They can tell me whatever they want really. Inside  the flat, the phone sitting next to the router jumps between 40mbps and 140mbps but the direct connection to both the router and the ONT box with 3 separate computers never gets higher than 70mbps. Now I dont understand how the wifi can pull 140mbps when the direct cant. It almost feels like theres some bizarre throttling software running. I mean I'd be happy with even 200-300mbps down on either wired or wireless. But paying £40-50 a month for under 100 is sickening. Especially when I can't complain as BTs magic secret software box says my flat is getting full speed. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 47 of 51

THECOYOTE99_0-1693367081883.png

I mean lets be honest, the only way I could make my speeds this bad is if i cut half the cable in half (this is direct to ONT box from computer)

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 51

Bizarre, I wonder if you are in some kind of complex with multiple flats perhaps this is being split internally for all residents - and this might be the root cause. I’m not sure how that works.

I’m not sure what to suggest. I know I have BT WiFi disabled. Not your general wifi, but the Smart Hub 2 by default splits off some of your speed so other BT customers can connect and use your speed. That shouldn’t really cause this much of an impact, but I’d try turning that off (you may need to google opt out of BT WiFi if you can’t find this on the BT website).

I see someone else has another thread up who is having what appears to be the same problem. I saw someone suggest turning off Smart Setup on the Smart Hub 2, this I would also recommend.

I’m not confident this will resolve your issue though, You’re paying for Full Fibre 900 and are clearly not receiving that. My sentiment would be that it’s upto BT to chase this up with Openreach on your behalf, and if they can not resolve it for you, then you should not be paying so much. Worst case scenario you should be bumped down to the Full Fibre 100 package and offered a reasonable discount for this inconvenience.

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 51

Nah i took the router out completely so the router isn't the cuprit. Openreach are coming on Friday now.
0 Ratings
Message 50 of 51

Are you using a VPN at all? I ask because I had full fibre 900 go live today and my speedtest results were terrible with a  VPN connected (Nord).

Once I disabled the VPN I was getting full speeds (over 900 with ethernet and around 450-500 wireless).

0 Ratings