Message 41 of 55

Re: Smart Hub 2 and splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Go to solution

????

Message 42 of 55

Go to solution

@Cicerowrote:

I haven’t found any software controls to switch a band on and off.

😁

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 55

Go to solution

Thanks   WSH. for that…I have done that and it works. I have also found an alternative way is to place a disc near the desktop PC and connect via Ethernet which gives a predictable connection speed.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 55

Go to solution
Thanks for that. I have checked my w10 and it doesn’t seem to be there. Maybe it only applies to inbuilt cards and not USB 3.0 .
0 Ratings
Message 45 of 55

Go to solution

@Cicerowrote:
Thanks for that. I have checked my w10 and it doesn’t seem to be there. Maybe it only applies to inbuilt cards and not USB 3.0 .

Assuming that's in response to my post, you would have to consult the manufacturer of the USB adaptor & maybe swap it for one with support for band preference. I don't own one to check as my bits box only contains ancient 2.4GHz only adapters.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 55

Go to solution

Solved.

So I never blog, never write reviews but this one got me so infuriated and when I solved it I danced around my house calling myself a genius.

You don't have to switch your 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz off to use dual banding. Just set them to a channel THAT IS NOT SMART. 

Their 'smart' programming is what is causing the issue. My ring bell stopped working after introducing the smart hub (I'm with BT infinity). I bought another camera thing off Amazon then realised it only connects to 2.4Ghz not 5Ghz. So I did some digging.

192.168.1.254 - Wireless - Change Settings - input your password (you can find this on the little cartridge on the side of your smart hub) - change the channels of the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to something other than the 'smart' options.

Mine is on channel 1 for 2.4Ghz and channel 36 for 5Ghz (NOT the 'smart' options). 

Hope it helps. 

Good luck 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 55

Go to solution

@SiNn 

sorry to burst your bubble but that is not a solution.  you cannot split the 2.4/5ghz networks on a BT Sh2.  all you have done is selected a specific channel for the 2.4/5ghz but they are both broadcast on the one SSID.  to split the networks you need separate SSID which is not possible with SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 48 of 55

Go to solution

Tbh I don't care about splitting the bands, my 2 ring bells, tv and other devices were connecting but losing connection straight after because they were being switched to 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz. I saw this real time on the admin setup page.

After changing the channels to normal ones (not smart ones) all my devices are working properly now and can connect to the bt hub without any problems, even my older devices. 

So it was a solution for me. Maybe not for everyone 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 55

Go to solution

More likely to have been interference on the 2.4GHz channel but if it works for you, great.

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 55

Go to solution

The ability to not set separate SSID’s is really a retrograde step I my opinion. Devices such as HP printers now seem to want devices that use them to connect not only to same SSID but at 2.4ghz as well. Progress ?