Always put gaffer tape over HH ports 1,2,3

Always put gaffer tape over HH ports 1,2,3

The number of people who do not read that they are Fast Ethernet ports with a capacity of 100 Mbps *MAXIMUM*

and not GigE, Gigabit ethernet capable with a theoretical max of 1000 Mbps i.e. 1 Gbps

and that 802.11n wireless is often easily capable of 140 Mbps when there is little competing wireless traffic from other people's  routers.

The number of people that do not realise that BT hobbled the router with its stingy 1 GigE port is ASTOUNDING.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
KenSharp
Aspiring Contributor

Given that BT do not offer home customers a service greater than 100Mbps, then what is the point in moaning about 100Mbps being the maximum on three of the four ports?

Buy a GigE router if you're desperate for LAN bandwidth.

db218
Contributor

🙂

• This idea was always intended to be Jokey, if you want to connect a NAS etc and get decent speed on your LAN you use a gigabit port to connect the NAS, via ethernet to the Gigabit port found on all gigabit routers except the HH3/4 😞
Given that BT do not offer home customers a service greater than 100Mbps YET, then what is the point in moaning about 100Mbps being the maximum on three of the four ports?
  • Ramp up infinity from 76 Mbps to say 150 Mbps - a factor of about 2 and you will exceed Fast Ethernet speeds necessitating Gigabit LANs at home
Buy a GigE router if you're desperate for LAN bandwidth.
  • Oops! - Help BT! there is no spare gigabit ethernet port on my HH3/HH4 - Shucks, now all BT customers will have to buy an extra gigabit switch at some point. 🙂 (ps ken I have 4 of these, so have already invested)