BT FON App

0 Ratings

The BT FON app should have a sort of "power save mode" for the FON WiFi just like the homehub has, and this is why.

When my home wifi shuts off at night, the BT FON app on my phone decides to log me into my neighbours FON accesspoint and chews through my FON minutes! Yeah I can get a 3rd party app to shutoff my WiFi, but it would be nicer if you could tell the FON app to not log you in between certain hours.

4 Comments
KerryG
Community Manager - Retired
Status changed to: More Feedback Needed
Thanks for the idea mallyhubz. Will pass on to the BT FON team, not something we can implement here on the forum, but would be interested to get others views to understand if this is something that would be of use to others? Thx Kerry
Roisin
Beginner

Absolutely - I uninstalled mine as no matter where I went it kept logging me into the nearest BT fon and apart from anything used up the power on my phone terribly, I went from getting around 20 hours use on my battery to less than 6 because the app was constantly searching, even trying to turn my Wi-fi off it sometimes over-rode that!

So yes, a system where we have more control over when it runs would make it worth looking at again for me, although, to be honest I've got used to simply manually looking for a connection when I want one, then again, I can't say I find it much faster than the 3GS system the phone itself uses so often don't use it even when it is available, but thats a different situation and as I have unlimited tariff on my phone its not quite so important for me to use the BT fon system. 

Aurochs

Likewise,  I find BT Fon app great when one needs it, but am uninstalling it as it uses TOO MUCH BATTERY.   20 hours down to 6 sounds about right on my Galaxy S2.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru

Wouldn't unchecking Login Automatically do the trick? Aside from that, keeping Wifi and/or Mobile Data switched off until you actually need them will do wonders for your battery charge time.