BT Home Hub 4 Wishlist

This is a wishlist of what I want in the next firmware upgrade. I hope someone from BT will read this, or someone forward it to them. I will add more points if I think it is nessascary. 

Manual Power Save - I know the HH4 advertises eco-technology, it turns off certian features when not needed etc. But some of my devices remain connected to the internet so the manual power save is not going to turn it off. I know I could just do this with Access Control but I much prefer a universal time limit.

Turn off BT Fon within the Hub Manager - I know you can disable it by logging in to opt-out but for me I forgot my details and have only remembered itUsers should have control on what can be allowed and not. I still have BT-Wifi operating in the 5Ghz band, talked to India but they "don't know".

Ability to turn off certain indicator lights - When I disabled Wi-Fi on the 2.4Ghz band it immediatley displayed a orange light, I don't reallly like this...I mean, I know its turned off!

30 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another feature. Add some sort of repeater mode. So the HH4 can be used as a repeater.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And custom URL blocking.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also. The BT Home Hub routers, send out 2 more wifi networks

BTWifi

BTWifi-with-FON

Both are identical and they provide the same thing.

Would it not be better to only broadcast 1 signal, BTWifi-with-FON. I know BT has a deal with FON so they could just keep one SSID operating. 

Also FON seems to operate on the 5Ghz band as well. I would like that disabled and I would much rather prefer it to be on the 2.4Ghz Band.

supersneak
Aspiring Contributor

What about proper support for multiple game consoles? In our house we have 2 Xbox360 and 2 PS3 - and trying to maintain open nat on these boxes is a real problem. At least allow multiple IP addresses in the DMZ.

Anonymous
Not applicable

With the Home Hub 4, 2 further SSID's are broadcasted. They are:

BTWifi

BTWifi-with-FON

Both of these SSID's provide the same service. I am assuming BT done the "with-FON" to show they have partnered with FON or some other reason.

For me. I think it should be disabled on the 5Ghz. Firstly, the user won't have a significant speed increase, due to it being limited on BTWifi anyway. It also has limited range as well. So it may not reach the user. Also when it does broadcast the BTWifi it should only broadcast one, BTWifi or BTWifi-with-FON. Which ever they want.

bilco99
Contributor

My apologies if this has already been suggested - but my favourite new feature for the HH 4 would be the one that ensured that when using the wif-fi you didn't regularly get kicked off the internet for a few minutes at a time.

This has nothing to do with the wi-fi signal as you can still access the HH manager screen during this time - just not the internal internet.  The YouView box and PC using the LAN works without dropping their connections.

SgtAMYNTAS
Aspiring Contributor

I Think You Should be able to Dis-Able BT-Wifi & BT-Wifi-with-Fon. Because 1. It Decreases Overall Speeds! 2. It Causes Interference with Other Bands! 3. Most of Us Like to Dis-Able All wifi Because we use the 1GigE Port to a 8Port GigE Cat6a Switch Increasing Connection Speeds, Reliability & Security.

BT Hub 4: is Great I have had some problems but that was down to the Smart Settings 😛

BT Should make a new Hub or Modem "BT Hub 6":

(1) {WIFI} Should Support AC Wifi 1000Mbps "1GB" Wifi with 3 or more Antennas and a Wifi Range Booster Port, & all Modern Bands!

(2) {LAN} Should Have 4 Cat6a Ports or 4 GigE Ports.

(3) {Connection} Should Have a Fibre Modem, Cable & Adsl Modem Built In!

(4) {STYLE} Size Does Not Matter BT!! a Square Box or Rectangle Hub That can be wall Mountable with Clear Cable Feeds "Lower or Upper".

(5) {Firmware} Modern Updates & Secure Updates "Stop Hackers!"

(6) {Ease of Access} Use Smart Settings for a Novice & Ability for PC Pros to Unleash the Hubs True Potential!

(7) {PRICE} Between £100-300 We want something MODERN! And Future Proof!

Anonymous
Not applicable

SgtAMYNTAS

The BT Home Hub 5 already has these features, search it on Google. Its going to be released either late 2013 or early 2014. 

But it has AC Wifi, 4Gig Ports as well as a combined VDSL/ADSL router. Not sure about settings though, they have always been "basic". 

Also BT have their own range of powerline adapters and dual band extenders. However, they are just rebranded products and cost alot more!

bilco99

I had an issue like that. It's fixed now. Make sure your firmware on your HH4 is up to date. It should be this: 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.10. 

Also disable Smart Wireless on both bands and select a fixed channel such as 1,6,11. Pick the one with less networks broadcasting on it. On the HH Manager, dont have the SSID for 5Ghz band the same as 2.4Ghz, it conflicts sometimes.

SgtAMYNTAS
Aspiring Contributor

I know about the BT Home Hub 5... But im Sure its Only Available to FTTP Customers ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SgtAMYNTAS Nope, available to FTTC and FTTP users 🙂

Once the Home Hub 5 is released it will come with all the Infinity packages. The Home Hub 4 will be supplied with the ADSL packages.