Sub-forums for BB in Home

How about splitting the BB in Home Forum, at least have a sub-forum (or a new forum) for Infinity? The BBin Home forum is by far the most used (55398 posts at the moment) and splitting it should make it easier to find topics of interest.

wedding

20 Comments
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert

Ian, Idon't think we should go too far as the problems of fragmentation could, indeed become a problem. But I still feel that topics are too difficult to find the way BB in Home is organised at the moment (essentially a catch-all for a topic that does not fit into any of the macro topics. As suggested by other commenters in this thread the split could be into fairly broad topics but not as broad as it is currently.

wedding

Soulvache
Aspiring Expert

I disagree [Ian].

If I had an issue with a particular service, I don't want to have to dig through pages and pages of threads which relate to a technology that I do not have.

Nobody is suggesting that the forum should be split up into "many sub-forums", but rather be done in a way that makes it easier for people to locate the information that is relevant to them. After all, not everybody has to post to find an answer relevant to their query. This would allow a more streamlined search capability and the removal of unnecessary duplicated threads, which is completely opposite to what you suggest.

reme8488
Aspiring Expert

In the meantime though it would be good to have a sub-forum for BT Infinity related posts as has been suggested.

blooty
Contributor

I also agree a straight forward split between DSL and Infinity would help a lot...

Tuliptownman
Contributor

There is no doubt that the Infinity posts are muddying the waters for those of us who can only dream of the potential. This is new technology and deserves to be seperated out. I also feel that ADSL2+ deserves to be seperated out as this too appears to be more sensitive and has its own set of potential issues that may not be apparent on ADSL2.

Would it be a good idea to have a sticky post encouraging users to post line stats and speedchecker results when first posting about a potential fault with a guide on how to get them?

minusdot
Recognised Expert

I'd like to see Infinity branched off into a different forum. I think several users that are struggling with <2Mbps ADSL connections really don't want to read folk whining about problems of exceeding 300GB download caps.

reme8488
Aspiring Expert

It looks like Infinity should be branched off & in my opinion quite rightly so.  You could have a general heading of 'BT Infinity' & then sub-headings:  'Connection' & then 'Hardware'. 

You could do the same with the standard Total BB, but it would be a case of deciding where to draw the line as you could soon end up with a navigation nightmare.

Just mulling over a few thoughts on this but a great idea by Wedding, which I would hope will be used in the near future.

KerryG
Community Manager - Retired
Status changed to: Implemented
Hi everyone Thanks for all the great feedback here. There is a definite appetite for splitting the boards down, but we also take onboard those concerns about splitting the subject into too many areas. With this in mind we plan to add a further 2 boards to the BB in Home section. The new boards will be BT Infinity, and Other BB Queries. The existing BB in Home board will change to BB Speed/Connection Issues and the final board will remain as BB out and About. We will be moving some of the old content over to the new boards, but please start using the new boards straight away to post your queries in the right areas. :) Thanks again for all the comments and feedback. Kerry
minusdot
Recognised Expert

Excellent. A big improvement. I no longer have to read people complaining about only being able to get 35Mbps! The only problem I know forsee is that users (particularly newbies) won't know where their post has gone and won't see the replies to their problems. It might have been better to keep the old forum, but lock it for new threads.

reme8488
Aspiring Expert

That's more like it Kerry.  You'll never get all the threads totally sorted into each sub-cat, but the search function will let people find what they're looking for.

Thanks for making the forums more functional for everyone!