Wifi QR Code

I think BT should consider creating an app that allows you to scan a QR code to connect your mobile phone to any of their wifi services, be it public or a home router. Wifi codes are thoroughly annoying, especially if you're on the move and trying to connect, and posters with QR codes/having them on the backs of routers would be much more satisfying!
Tags (1)
3 Comments
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage

Great idea but one snagg I can see is how do BT retro fit/match up 5+million QR codes that must correspond with the Homehubs wireless passkeys that are already on the Homehubs that are presently being used by customers?

georgeow93
Thanks - I imagine it would be more cost-effective to implement it from now onwards, rather than changing what already exists. It would not be a smart move to either recall or replace those that exists, but for sending out new posters to scan in public areas, and attaching a QR code as well as a usual wireless key to future routers, it doesn't seem an impossibility
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage

The BTWifi hotspots that are presently available are already accessible by using the BTWifi app without having to log on provided you have set the app up when first installed with your BTID and password so I don't see how a QR code would be of benefit in this instance.

Security issues such as : How could the QR code be used to stop non BT customers using the BTWifi hotspot if you only have to scan the QR code to connect. The fact you have to presently log on with your BTID leaves an audit trail in the event that something illegal was done on that BTWifi hotspot.

The only way that I could see a QR code being used in this instance would be if you had a personal identifier QR code on your phone and it was scanned by the router you are wanting to connect to. However I don't think it would be practical for reasons such as having to be able access a scanning machine that was connected to the router and cost implications of the need for new equipment.

It might be practical on a private network where the owner has control of who can access the QR code just as they do at present with the wireless passkey.

Interesting idea though if you can work out all the problems.