cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

Money Expert for BT continuing to use a dishonest script and cold calling

Go to solution

I am mobility restricted. I have just had a cold caller from ME knock and ring on my door. They did not reply when I called for them to ask them to identify themselves. I made it to the door. They asked questions without identifying themselves. I asked who they were and realised it was ME for BT and EE. 

The script suggested internet service here is very bad. It isn’t. That switching suppliers would be best. I’m already with BT so.. is the service good or bad? Much muttering about 70 people using the same copper pipes. 

The person was polite and clearly just doing their job and following a script but Money Expert obviously has no concern for those with disabilities and with simply not civil trespassing on private property.

When I raised this the response was “It’s not illegal”. Nope. Unethical. The script is dishonest. But sure. 

So this leaves me in a situation where my contracted company is using dishonest sales methods and has been for years as this was raised here previously. Can complain to BT except by calling or writing because it doesn’t fall into any of the categories for online complaints.

Really disappointing. And in my case a physically painful experience.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Money Expert for BT continuing to use a dishonest script and cold calling

Go to solution

If they don't identify themselves or answer your questions when you challenge them then you can have no idea of their true purpose or intent and you should not open the door to them, how do you know that they're not preying on the elderly and infirm

Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @Daycee, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry that a visit from a Money Expert rep has give you caused you unnecessary additional pain. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll raise a complaint for you. 

Cheers

John

Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

@Daycee  If you refer to ME (Money Expert) then it was nothing to do with MSE, Money Savings Expert.

They say: 
We've had a series of worrying reports that cold callers have turned up at homes claiming they are from MoneySavingExpert.com and can save people money on their energy bills. So once again we're warning everyone – MoneySavingExpert NEVER cold calls, and these people are NOTHING to do with us.

As for MoneyExpert, have a gander at this:

https://www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/moneyexpert 

Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

@Carlusha 
I… never mentioned Money Saving Expert. I mentioned Money Expert. At a loss as to why you would you even bring MSE up when it was nothing to do with this post?  And I’m aware of the previous issues, which is why I titled the post “continuing to use”.

Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

@Les-Gibson 

Erm. That’s rather my point. That they could easily be preying on vulnerable people using the script I heard today.  This situation has been alerted to BT in this very forum before. Internet reviews suggest ME have been using this script for at least two years. BT have done nothing to sort it out and ME is being paid to do this by BT.

I also clearly stated they did reply to my questions which is how I knew where they were from and which company it was. 

It may not be intentional but your reply reads as if you’re blaming me for answering my own door .

Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

@Daycee 

I think @Carlusha  is referring to a story going back at least 6 years that I know of when Martin Lewis felt compelled to stress that MSE is nothing to do with ME after receiving criticism for some of their actions.

Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

@Daycee 

if the callers didn't identify themselves by showing ID even when challenged then you have no idea where they had come from only what they told you 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

@Daycee 

Correction, you explicitly said "They did not reply when I called for them to ask them to identify themselves." so yes, why would I not advise you against opening your own door under such circumstances

Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

@imjolly 

please revisit my post and this line:

“They asked questions without identifying themselves. I asked who they were and realised it was ME for BT and EE.”

why would I write a whole post giving the detail of an encounter with Money Expert if I hadn’t ascertained it. Do you just assume people are randomly making things up? How strange.