cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 33

Re: What changes with BT new voice over internet?

Go to solution

@Jane2018 wrote:

I have been trying to make mky own list but may forget some of the things as not been moved yet.

1. Assuming you also have BT broadband you may need to be sent a new router Hub 2 (I don't have one) - my current hub will not take a landline plugged in the bag so I will need a free new hub 2. There are then consequences fr that - new router means new wifi log ins on all devices or to copy over old passwords etc etc.

Which part of landline only in post 1 was it that you didn't understand.

2. You will plus the corded landline I have into back of new hub 2.

As the arrangements for landline only customers are yet to be finalised, this is unknown

3.  When you dial eg from here in London instead of just 8 (I am outer London) I must add 020  before the 8, I am not sure if people dialing me after the change also have to use the longer code or not if they are within London and how I go about telling them all

You mean just how you do with mobile calls

4.  I tihnk the dialing tone may sound different.,

Wow, I'm sure the OP will cope

5. If you have BT call minder for which I pay with a customised voice recording of your own that requires a few steps and deciding number of calls before your own message cuts in - you kind of have to stop the BT new voicemail if you want to use your own.

Probably applies to 0.001% of the customer base

6.  You cannot do what I do every day of the year - take phone off hook resulting in its going to voicemail when I pop out into the garden. Instead it will have to be left on whatever number of rings before voicemail you have it on - so I lose an option I use a lot there.

I suspect you are the only person in the country to do that.

7.  The screeching sound when you take phone off hook will go

Wow

8. If you lose electric power you can't use phones so it is much less resilient particularly in times of national disaster ie worse.

That depends whether landline only customers will be provided with an ATA in the exchange or a low bandwidth broadband solution.

[I fear it will be less reliable as my internet cuts out every day as do neighbours and no one can fix it yet my landline has never broken once in 30 years !!!!]

In general terms for everything I want it  will be worse and of course the price won't go down either.

Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

Recently, my elderly Aunt was forced to change to the Digital Voice service due to her buying a new build bungalow. As I do all her administration on her behalf, the first thing I noticed was that her 'Basic Essentials' BT package had now tripled in price! Old price - £5.99p/m, New Digital Voice - £15.99p/m. This she had no option but to accept due to the fact that there was no other landline service available at her new property. Secondly, after 2 weeks of trying to activate the new service (she had no phone service what-so-ever over the Christmas period), BT finally got her up and running on the 4th Jan. Now the fun really started. Her 13 year old Panasonic DECT phone worked fine once connected to the Super Hub 2 router. The issue here is that base unit has to be placed within 1.2m of the router (due to the length of the cable connection). Finally, the message system on the Panasonic DECT no longer works. Voice messages can be left on the DV voicemail but there is no longer any indication on the DECT that a message has been left. The old voice messaging service on the DECT would flash red and the number of messages left would be displayed on the base. With DV the only way to replay the messages is to dial 1571. Also with the DECT phone, as the caller is leaving the message, it could be monitored through the speaker and you then have the option to cut in on the message and talk to the caller on the line. No such service exists with DV Voicemail. So having been persuaded by the BT helpline to purchase a new DV handset, my Aunty is another £22.99 out of pocket. In my experience, these limitations of use are not explained anywhere on the BT website. I sincerely hope you don't experience the same issues when you migrate your mother over to DV. Believe me, it causes a lot of stress and worry for the elderly (analogue) generation.

Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

@Expostiesteve 

So much wrong there:

Nothing stopping the use of a standard telephone extension chord, so no such 1.2m limitation.

Alternately a free DVA adapter is available to plug the base station into a convenient mains socket rather than the SH2.

The 1571 service can have the number of rings extended so that the DECT base answers instead. In this scenario all of the other complaints also disappear.

Message 14 of 33

Go to solution

Any change in price had absolutely nothing to do with the change to DV. DV prices are exactly the same as analogue prices.

All your other 'problems' are dealt with in the FAQ https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks @rbz5416
I accept your point about the extension cord.
Don't understand your 2nd point about the mains socket.
I spent 55 minutes on the BT helpline with him trying to get the message service to work on the DECT base unit. Not once did he mention about extending the rings on the DV. Are you saying the DECT phone will activate and operate as before if I extend or turn off the DV voicemail?
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

The help desk appear to have very little understanding of Digital Voice. You can either turn off 1571 (which is not straightforward) or set the number of rings to 10 on 1571 and 7 on your analogue phone.

All is explained in the FAQ

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution
Thank you @licquorice and @rbz5416
I will try both of your suggestions. Very helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

The help desk appear to have very little understanding of Digital Voice.

Or any other BT product or service...

Message 20 of 33

Go to solution

I know that most of those commenting on this issue poo poo the changes with DV which I don ot like but this thread has given me yet another one! Even though I pay for BT callminder every month will I not be able to know if there is a message which dialing 1571 and incurring a charge?

At present I pick up the receiving and listen to the sound on the line - that sound without any cost to me tells me if there is a voicemail or not. I always pick up both landlines when i get back from being out to check if there are messages.

It sounds like after I am forced into DV that facility which I use every day will disappear with yet against something much worse - involving making a call to hear messages - will be in its place. is there a single thing that is better with DV like much cheaper pricing or anything that takes less time and is much easier rather than all the other way round?

0 Ratings