cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Full fibre installation

Hi all, I'm due to have full fibre installed on thursday. It's an overhead cable and the current set up enters the house at ground level but I'm wondering if I can have the new set up entering into an upstairs study which is on the corner of the house where the new cable will connect to the building (hope that makes sense).The house is being rendered and I want as little as possible hammering into the new render.  I suppose what I am asking is will Openreach install the external box at height if I ask them? Thanks for any replies/advice or personal experience with this kind of install.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Full fibre installation

If you speak to the engineer and explain what you want if it's possible he/she will do it and if not they will explain why not.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's possible.....
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

You can have the ONT Installed on the 1st floor but the Drop Cable and Lead In will still need to go at ground level to be Spliced together at a CSP.

It can’t be done at height for safety as well as practicality reasons.

Also a CSP at that level on the wall would look ridiculous anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

@Starwire 

Would this not be a new cable straight from the pole to the ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

From what I have read from other posts on here the engineers are generally quite agreeable to any changes from standard config providing it is within health and safety guidelines AND it is a good idea to offer a cup of tea and some nice biscuits shortly before asking 😉

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

@rbz5416wrote:

@Starwire 

Would this not be a new cable straight from the pole to the ONT?

No, it would be a new cable from the pole to the CSP which must be at ground level.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@pippincp 

Have things changed since this thread then?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

@rbz5416Unfortunately the OP never got back to us to comfirm if he was successful so I can only go by what others in the same position have posted on here.

I cannot recall any who have not had a CSP fitted.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

If you’re referring to FFC’s Field Fit Connectors then Openreach stopped using them a few years ago.

They have now gone back to using a Customer Splice Point on the outside of the house.

They won’t be able to fit a CSP at 1st floor level as they can’t splice off the ladders. Also the CSP is about 7inch square as I remember so would stick out like a sore thumb.

And here we go again with this Tea and Biscuits nonsense, in the 20+ years I spent working as a CSE I or any of my work colleagues would break H&S and or Quality Rules for a cup of Tea and some Poxy Biscuits?!?!