cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 42

Billed twice in four days

Go to solution

I pay BT once a month by direct debit. Four days ago this regular payment was made as usual. Today, the exact same payment was taken from my account. That's two payments in four days, instead of one per month. It took forever to find out how to query this, and the call handler seemed to be very, very aware that the double payment had been made. I'm guessing I'm not the only one, but I'm keen for that extra payment to be refunded as soon as possible. I'd also like to know how that happened, and if I'm not the only one, I guess a whole lot more people would like to know too.

41 REPLIES 41
Message 2 of 42

Re: Billed twice in four days

Go to solution

You are not alone - my direct debit was taken on 17th and again today 21st - sat on the phone for 20mins on hold and gave up once I saw your posting.  Something very wrong has happened and it needs fixing quick!

Message 3 of 42

Go to solution

Just checked my bank account and the same thing, payment taken on the 17th and a second payment taken today.

What's going on ? I would like my money back ASAP.

Could the Mod's take a look and tell us what is going on.

I don't know if there is any connection but I get two emails each month regarding my bill payment, but have never had two payments taken before.

Message 4 of 42

Go to solution

Hi @peadea @wise1 & @derekscarborough 

Thank you for your posts!

I am sorry for the mix up with your Direct Debit payments.  I have sent each of you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 42

2 payments in 4 days

Go to solution

I pay for my broadband monthly 

This month I have been charged twice in 4 days and see I'm not the only person who has had this issue please can you tell me what is going on 

Thank you,

C Wollaston 

Message 6 of 42

Re: 2 payments in 4 days

Go to solution

Hi @Chloe_wollaston

Welcome and thanks for your post.

I am sorry for the mix up with your Direct Debit payment.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 42

Go to solution
  • Hi there, 

I am in the same situation, please advise how I will get my money back. 

Message 8 of 42

Go to solution
Clearly BT know that there is a problem here since the below alert is posted on their website.

If you’ve experienced a duplicate Direct Debit for a bill you’ve already paid, please be aware that we’re working on fixing the issue now and it should be automatically refunded shortly. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

This probably requires a general statement from the moderator, rather than requesting individuals to send their details? There may be many thousands of them!

Hopefully there won't be too many people incurring penalties as result of these errors.

Message 9 of 42

Go to solution

Same thing has happened to me

Message 10 of 42

Go to solution

The same has happened to me. 

I'm guessing that the batch file for March 17's Direct Debits has been erroneously resubmitted for payment on 21st. 

Having worked with BACS systems myself I am sure that BT will now be in no doubt whatsoever of this error and should be acting fast to put it right. 

Customers are fully protected by the Direct Debit guarantee. 

I therefore don't feel I need to report it to BT myself - I shall just wait for it to reappear in my bank account.   

If this temporary extra debit impacts you e.g. it makes you overdrawn you should talk to your bank.