cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Digital voice

I have just received an email about the new Digital Voice which is coming our way.  As well as having several concerns about this, I don't fully understand why we will have to pay line rental if the telephone service will be using our broadband and we will not be connected to a telephone line as such anymore.   I have paid £219 upfront for the line rental saver for the year.   I do  also have a  mobile but because I live alone I want to keep a choice of communication methods to suit the circumstances.   In fact,  yesterday BT broadband did go down for a few hours in this area.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Digital voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@Janet8 

Its because Line Rental is included in the cost of all broadband packages.

You still have to pay for the rental of the fibre or copper connection, whether you want a phone service or not.

LRS is being discontinued as its no longer relevant.

Message 4 of 9

You still need a physical line to deliver the broadband, it doesn't arrive by magic.

Line rental is nothing to do with telephony capability.

Message 5 of 9

Line rental and Telephony are not the same thing , just because your Telephony is going to be delivered over your broadband, by plugging your phone into the router rather than a traditional phone socket , it doesn’t follow that ‘line rental ‘ is now unnecessary ,
FYI , you can now remove Telephony if you want to , that would remove the ability to make or receive calls , you would no longer would have a ‘landline’ phone number but obviously ( as stated ) but the ‘line’ still exists and needs to be paid for, nothing changes from that point of view, it remains as it is now , an inclusive part of the charge for delivering your broadband service 

LRS , although it’s title suggests it is still associated with ‘line rental’ , it’s not really , your broadband ‘fee’ is a single amount on the bill , and has been that way for many years , your bill isn’t divided into two parts , line rental and broadband, so irrespective of where you plug your phone in , the service is the same in that you still have the same services you had before, there is no reason to reduce the price unless your remove Telephony in which case the saving is around £5/month
LRS is soon to be discontinued , it was really only a £20 yearly discount for paying £220 ish upfront.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

The last time Line Rental was mentioned as a separate item on my bills was in March 2017.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Well BT took the line rental saver payment off me back in April. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I have a BT broadband package and I have also been paying for line rental which I paid as line rental saver.  I have now received an email from BT saying that I am due a small refund for the line rental.  Don't fully understand what is going on

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

To save repeating every thing see the following link. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Line-Rental-Saver/m-p/2299882#M156888

0 Ratings