cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Digital voice

Hi I was wondering if some one could explain why I got a notification that I would be being moved to digital voice , when I'm on a long E.O line with no plans for an upgrade ? I only have an upload of .6 and a download of 4MBPS  ( on a good day ). I can't see what advantage there will be when it's still coming down the same bit of old copper .

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Digital voice

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@norsenoddy 

Digital Voice applies to all lines including copper, and uses only a very tiny bandwidth, only while in use on a call.

As the PSTN network is closing down, there is no other option.

Message 4 of 6

You can’t see the advantage to yourself or BT ? , the obvious advantage for BT is you are another BT customer moved off the soon to be retired PSTN ‘switch’ ( something that all BT telephone customers will be ) , as stated not every DV user is FTTC or FTTP , some , like yourself, will be moved to DV even if they are an ADSL customer , in time , even those with no broadband , will also be moved to DV .

The bandwidth required for DV is around 100Kb when in use , so  negligible  even if the available ‘speed’ isn’t great .

Message 5 of 6

Just to add to what has been said already, the PSTN network is a very inefficient way of carrying voice calls, as it reserves a full 64Kbs slot for each call, even if there is nobody speaking. This also allowed for the fact that someone might be using a modem or fax machine, both of which no longer function on Digital Voice.

Added to that, is the large amount of power used by switches, be are very old technology and they also generate a lot of wasted heat, which has to be removed by air handling units which often have to switch to refrigeration mode, during hot weather.

Message 6 of 6

Thanks for clearing that up , I'll wait and see what happens
0 Ratings