cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Connecting to WiFi

I am 85 and need a little help please.

I have bought a weather station and am trying (along with many others on a Weather Station forum) to connect it to my WiFi. 

My set-up is a BT Hub with a TP-Link AC1200 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router to get house coverage.

The attached photo is a  copy of the instructions in the manual which is all goblety-goop to me!

I do have access to the BT Home Manager web page but all looks too complicated to me.

W i-Fi inst.jpeg

Can some kind person help please, where should I look for the settings menu mentioned, in the Hub or the attached router?

Many thanks in anticipation..........

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Re: Connecting to WiFi

Hi @cheddarman 

Firstly, a quick question - do you have the AC1200 up and running already alongside your BT Hub, or do you need help with that as well as the weather station?

The photo of the instructions is a bit difficult to make out, but as with all of these things there are basically three steps:

1. Start the weather station in Access Point (AP) mode.  In this mode the weather station creates a WiFi network that you can connect to using your phone or laptop.  It looks like you do this by pressing the BARO/WiFi button and holding for 4 seconds - the display will show "AP".
  2. Connect your phone/laptop to the weather station WiFi (called WWS_XXXXXX, where the Xs are digits, apparently), in the same way as you would connect to the Hub or any other WiFi.
  3. Use a web browser on your phone/laptop to connect to http://192.168.1.1 (which just means typing that http... into the address bar in the web browser), at which point you should have a form that you can use to fill in details for your 'proper' home WiFi (either the Hub or your TP-Link) - ie the network name (SSID), password and so on.

Once you've completed the above the weather station should be accessible on your home WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 27

Many thanks Ptrduffy. Just the weather station, everything else is working just fine!

I'll get back to you as must go out...............

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

Just the weather station, everything else is working just fine!

In which case you just need to enter the SSID and password for your WiFi router into the weather station, once you've connected to it.

I did just notice that your weather station only operates on the 2.4GHz WiFi band.  I'm not familiar with your TP-Link WiFi router, but if it uses the same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz (which is what the BT SH2 does), then you *may* need to disable the 5GHz signal temporarily to get your weather station to connect.

If your TP-Link uses different SSIDs for the two bands, then you will want to enter the details for the 2.4GHz band into your weather station.

Good luck!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 27

Right! Very much appreciate the help!

Right! As I understand it I need two internet/wifi capable devices - I have a phone and laptop.

So I press the BARO on the WS Display and it switches to AP. On my phone I can then log onto the WWS Wifi, in my case it's WWS_49....

I log on to that Wifi on my phone and it says "no internet connection, Unsecured network" and after a while disconnects and connects back onto my home Wifi.

On my laptop I go into my BT Hub home and `I find this menu. Is this where I can find all the information I need?

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 09.52.26.jpeg

Now what🤔 and where do I find this SSID thingy please?

My son set up the TP-LINK and he kept all passwords etc the same as the Hub.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 27

Its the network name shown in your screenshot in the wireless box.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

Yes it is, same as the little pull out tab on the hub where the passwords are.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

I've just noticed what might be a fatal flaw. The address of the weather station appears to be 192.168.1.1, unless your son changed the default IP address of the TP Link, that will also be 192.168.1.1  You can't have the same address on 2 devices, one will need to be changed.

When you connect to the weather station with your phone, try accessing the management page at 192.168.1.1 and see if you can change its IP address to 192.168.1.2 before entering the network name

Message 9 of 27

Where should I access the 192.168.1.1 ? Can't use the phone, no internet and my laptop won't open it🥴
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

I log on to that Wifi on my phone and it says "no internet connection, Unsecured network" and after a while disconnects and connects back onto my home Wifi.

The lack of internet is not a problem and is expected - you are only connected to the weather station at that point.

It may be easier to do this on your laptop rather than the small phone screen.  Once you are connected to the WS, open a web browser and enter "192.168.1.1" into the address bar.  At that point you will be able to configure the WS with the details of your proper (Internet-connected) WiFi - and, as @licquorice said, change the WS IP address to 192.168.1.2.