cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 45

Smart Hub 2 and splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Go to solution

BT are pestering me to plug in my Smart Hub 2 so I can keep using my landline, but it's been gathering dust in a cupboard for about a year because it doesn't support band splitting (which causes issues that I'm sure many are familiar with).

I was just wondering if they ever managed to fix this or if I'm about to lose my landline for good?

thanks!

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
Message 2 of 45

Re: Smart Hub 2 and splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Go to solution

You can't split the bands, but most/all of the problems are when setting up devices initially. The resolution is to turn off the 5Ghz band, set up the devices and then reinstate the 5Ghz band.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 45

Go to solution

If you need to use the SH2 have you considered turning off Wifi completely on the SH2 and using a different Wifi Access point? I you have an existing router that does provide Wifi as you desire, then provided you don't need to return it you could disable DHCP, set a static ip address on it (such as 192.168.1.1)  and link the two routers via ethernet.

Message 4 of 45

Go to solution

@countrypaul - thanks for the suggestion. Can I use my existing Smart Hub to do that?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 45

Go to solution

You should be able to use you existing Smart hub - yes (provided BT don't want it back). You also avoid having to reset the Wifi SSID/password anywhere that way, either on the SH2 or everywhere else!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 45

Go to solution

Make sure you turn off DHCP on the second hub

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 45

Go to solution

thanks @countrypaul , I had no idea I could do that!

So, I just need to disable DHCP on the Smart Hub 2 and daisy-chain it to the Smart Hub 1 with an ethernet cable? Sorry, it's been a few years since I done stuff like this so I'm a bit rusty!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 45

Go to solution

Also make sure you change the IP address of your old hub to a static one different to the SH2 before connecting the two together or they might fight for customers trying to access the internet.

Message 9 of 45

Go to solution

That worked a treat!

@countrypaul  you are a 🌟 - thank you!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 45

Go to solution

A fantastic solution @countrypaul .

Kudos to you. 👍

Cheers