cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Vpn and slow image upload speed

Go to solution

Unfortunately it did not work the network is unindentified. I tried using a wifi antenna for my pc and the vpn worked as intended. After reconnecting the BT hub the network is now correctly described and the image speed is normal now so there is some improvement. Yesterday night i experienced a lot of disconnections and failed downloads from game servers to patch. However VPN not working on ethernet connection is still a thing i am at a loss what to do at this point and wonder if the Hub itself is the problem. Unfortunately i do not have a second PC to test the cable connection out

Update: I have also tried the methods in earlier thread suggested with network reset and removing killer software but nothing helped

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

What do you mean by the Network is unidentified? What is reporting that?

It looks as though the BTHub and the Ethernet in your PC are not playing together properly. Putting a simple Ethernet switch between the 2 (in the form of an old Router/Hub)  can often solve problems like that (no guarantee though).

Just having read through the thread again, I notice you mention you are using a CAT5 Ethernet cable, some CAT5 cables only had 4 wires in them (as that is all Ethernet & Fast Ethernet required) where as Gigabit Ethernet requires all 8 present. The cable you use should be labelled as CAT 5e, or CAT6 maybe 6a. Not sure if a cable is supplied with the BTHub nowadays.

You should be able to by a gigabit network switch for under £10 and CAT6 cables for £1 (depending on length) - however without identifying the problem clearly they may not solve the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Bez tytułu.png

So I've put the virgin hub between the PC and bt Hub and used it as i would with a switch but the network is unindentified and has no internet in that case. my neighbour who ordered bt engineer around the same time did recieve two cables unlike me one for socket and one for pc so i borrowed it off him and results are the same. I also tested cat6 cable i had and the original cable i was using is cat5e. I will play some games to see if disconnects persists and update on that but the vpn is still refusing to work properly. It only works on wifi. I'm starting to think maybe my hub is faulty? It's so wierd for this issue to be so specific when internet off VPN mostly works.

What is interesting is that im getting 0 speed on checking network state and to get speeds shown i need to manually shut down the controller and turn it on again to see packets moving and speed showing.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

I think you may well have two entirely different problems.

1) Ethernet problem - I think caused by the BTHub and your PC Ethernet not playing together nicely

2) VPN  problem - I saw a similar VPN problem with another forum member recently. It turned out one VPN would work, but one would not and we could not work out why iirc. Solved: Are BT trying to block VPNs - BT Community

The unidentified network message might be caused by getting an ip address in the wrong range. Did you get an ip address from the BTHub before connecting the PC to the Virgin hub? If the Virgin hub still has dhcp active it could be issuing an ip address that your PC can tell has no internet connection.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution
If the vpn was not working with BT it wouldnt be working on wifi either but it works perfectly fine when on wifi.

As for DHCP i have not fiddled with any of that as im not entirely sure where to start editing that
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

Do you have the "Killer Network Service" running on your PC?  I notice that there are some posts o the Intel community form that suggest disabling that service resolves various problems - worryingly it seems that Intel took over Killer and have deemed "that the Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller is a Legacy unsupported product" in 2021!

Not sure what PC you have, but I also found this on the MSI site: Killer E2500 Gigabit problem | MSI Global English Forum (not sure if I am allowed to post this link - mods please delete if I should not)

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution
Ive posted earlier that i went with the suggestion u made from the other thread and have removed killer software with killer uninstaller and is not running anymore in task manager. It also did not help still.
If i were to connect to old ISP thru the virgin hub since other contract has not run out yet the wifi works again so i dont believe its an issue from the side of PC
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

I thought things also work if you use WiFi to the BTHub, just that Ethernet to the BTHub is totally unreliable at present. Does using Ethernet to the Virgin hub still work reliably? 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

Bez tytułu.png

Using ethernet with a virgin hub connected to their box works perfectly fine and the vpn is also working without a hitch. The vpn craps the bed ONLY on bt ethernet connection

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

Bez tytułu.png

I have found the solution to the problem finally. In the hub manager menu that you access through 192.168.1.254

there is a port clamping option that was ON by default. By shutting it down it allowed my VPN to finally connect and work as intended. It did not work before but i believe that couldve been related to earlier image upload slowdown that got fixed by resetting the router and reconnecting all the cables. Everything seems to be in order and works fine so far.

0 Ratings