Block Expensive Telephone Numbers in Router

Block Expensive Telephone Numbers in Router

0 Ratings

Upgrade BT routers to include a PABX (Asterix?) such that ALL telephones in the home can be routed through the router.

Then enable the home owner to block particular numbers and classes of number.

This would avoid the account holder being given unexpectedly high bills.

9 Comments
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
I'm not sure that's technically possible without re-wiring your phones. At the moment, land-lines are connected directly to the phone line, not through the Home Hub. There's no way to re-route these calls through the hub, as the hub can't disconnect them from the land-line.
toekneem
Distinguished Guru

To be honest , that would increase the price of the HH greatly, and to get the cost back BT would end up increasing broadband charges.

If customers want an option like a PABX built in, then they can purchase something like the Fritz!box 7390, all bells and whistles, but at a price.

I for one would much rather BT reduce the cost of Broadband and let the customer supply their own Modem/router of choice.

PeterT
Contributor

I do have a Fritz!Box 7390 and do exactly what I suggested BT should enable all its customers to do. That;s why I know it is possible.

I believe that some Telcos in Germany supply the Fritz!Box to their customers so what's the problem.;

john46
Distinguished Sage

The facility to block premium numbers and outgoing calls already exist as a calling feature   and  routing  phones throught the hub may not be practical in many  cases 

also that would  only affect broadband users not  those  just having  phone service  therefore the  calling feature is a better option  for those that want or need it  

PeterT
Contributor

It is called a Home Hub, not a broadband router. This implies that it supports all digital services. Indeed, the Home Hub I have in the bottom of a cupboard included a DECT hub so BT were on the way there. It is only a small step to managing the phones on the Home Hub and providing and interface to plug in an analogue phone, fax or answerphone.

Our current 'router' integrates two PSTN interfaces, a PABX, SIP server and a DECT hub with the broadband services. We can manage Telephone Books, Call Routing and Bocking etc from a computer. There is also some control of the 'router' from a phone - turning on and off wifi, connecting guests and so on.

toekneem
Distinguished Guru

And it also costs £200.

And if BT started putting that type of cost onto the customers it would be unfair because the vast majority just want a bog standard router £25-£30.

Again, there is nothing to stop any customer using any router.

hippey
Expert

Although there is the Fibre Voice Access trial where the line is routed via the FTTP Modem.... This could be the answer in the future.

KerryG
Community Manager - Retired
Status changed to: Not Suitable

Thanks for the suggestion and comments from others. As we can't implement this idea on the community itself I have marked as not suitable, but interesting points raised. As John46 mentioned, it is possible to block certain numbers using our Call Barring feature - find out more about Call Barring here.

PeterT
Contributor

Hi Kerry,

That's OK. I use a Fritz!Box and block all the numbers I want to in that. However, I can defines special rules for specific numbers that I don't want blocked. This is the advantage of having it in the router albeit more expensive.