Learning Centre?

As there is a lot of new comers on this forum who don't fully understand the context that is being written to them, I would think it would be a great to add a learning centre that is full of resources. This can be expanded to people who are studying Networking and wants to get a better understanding of Infrastructure or just terminology. 

I know this is heading away from what the purpose of this site is here for, but its here to support customers and I think having some resources that defines things in layman’s terms. Though adding more advanced resources for people who have an understanding of the basics and just wants to expand their knowledge further.

11 Comments
StephanieG
Status changed to: More Feedback Needed
hi guys, what sort of things would you like to see? Any specific topics/issues that spring to mind? Stephanie
ryant704
Guru

- Definition of the Terminology used on the forum

- Description of how the DLM works, Access Lists, etc

- Tutorials on how to Ping, Tracert, Get your IP profile, Port Forwarding etc

- Features that people can use on the hub, then linked to the tutorial section for more a guide on how-to.

Note: Would be happy to write up a few of these tutorial/guides if you like.

StephanieG
Status changed to: Considering
Thanks for that, great minds think alike ryant704, we have been looking into setting up something like this 🙂 we don't have the finer details yet but watch this space as we will have more info about it in the next few months. I would be interested to hear what other topics you guys like to see? Stephanie
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
I also think this is a good idea - the hard bit is getting people to read the help before posting their problem. Find a solution to this problem and you really will have cracked it imj
john46
Distinguished Sage

I agree with Imjolly  the difficult thing is getting people to read it it is like the forum search there is lots of good advice in older threads like wise those that do not read the forum pages before posting there own problem  but  asto the idea a very good one

Hizzy180
Beginner

Is there any Broadband Engineers on this forum

ryant704
Guru

There's is a fair few, but I believe the mods don't like them to say whom is or whom isn't.

Castle
Beginner

Of course, i guess it would be a graet idea to add a learning center in forum area, so that more peop-le could talk about the right topics in the right area and could share and learn the tricks more effectively and in a proper manner. Which will also serve the right way to the foru,m purpose.

conrad
Recognised Expert

This would be a good idea. I would also think a 'database' of links to information would be very useful a la K-B and his forum help guide.

I personally have found the existing search option awkward to use as I find it difficult to narrow search parameters - usually go from 50+ to zero after modifying my criteria but that is probably me.

RogerB
Guru

I personally think it to be an excellent idea .... one of the main fundemental tasks people looking for advice have to do is have at least a basic understanding of how the technologies work, and then be able to relate their own particular problem to that even basic knowledge.

Apart from anything else it would also serve to establish the forum better on a technical level, as unfortunately a lot of the postings have become "parrot-fashion rubbish" and hence automatically become "folklore" whether it is accurate or not. The afforementioned being given by people who mean well, but in reality don't have a comprehensive knowledge themselves.

Also, I have to say, that the forum status system, and the way it is promoted through post numbers ... does tend to increase the innacurracies because very little is negated and corrected on the forum, and is allowed to propogate.

Forum status should be awarded, and not given by post numbers by default.

That way, the forums would gain more respect in the public domain.