Marking a thread as solved should lock the thread.

Marking a thread as solved should lock the thread.

Often a thread is incorrectly marked as solved when it isn't. Or it is, but the problem resurfaces. People get frustrated that a problem they're still experiencing is "solved".

If marking a thread as solved also locked the thread, then others would start a new thread - which could remain open until the new poster is satisfied.

7 Comments
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru

I agree that a threads should be locked when marked as solved, with the proviso that the OP can reopen if necessary. Locking threads automatically after a certain time without a contribution is also worth considering. 

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert

This idea has been raised at least twice before without getting any real support.

See

http://community.bt.com/t5/Forum-Guidance-Ideas/Marking-Threads-as-Solved/m-p/499609/highlight/true#...

Why it does not get more support is a mystery.

NigelE
Moderator-Retired
Status changed to: Considering
Thanks for this, I'll take some advice at our end to see whether we can take this forward - leave it with me and I'll update here as soon as I can.
ukfrogman
Aspiring Expert

9 months on, any update available?

Happygoblin
Aspiring Contributor

I would have thought the optimum would be "Only the original poster can set a thread as 'Solved'" and for that to lock it

That way if I start a thread about an issue only I can set it as solved when I feel it has been.

If a day/week/month whenever its a "its happening again" I as the original thread creator can..."un-solved it "  !!

KenSharp
Aspiring Contributor

There is never a good reason to lock a thread.

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert

Can we have an update on this please ?