cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 35

Dear BT Community,

For some time now I have been trying to have my broadband package downgraded from Halo 3+, the latest time I contacted BT about this was earlier this afternoon; but to no avail as my contract runs to 7th June 2024 and basically I have been told I am stuck with it.

After this latest call to BT I mentioned the situation to a neighbour, who is also with BT, who told me that they had tried to get Halo but were told it isn’t available in our area, he suggested I check if I actually have it. 

I do have it, or rather I am being charged for it, but apparently as shown below I should never have been able to go on the Halo package at all.

I visited bt.com/exp/halo and clicked on the ‘see your BT halo deals’ button near the bottom of the page.

This took me to bt.com/broadbamd/halo and I clicked the ‘check availability’ button. I entered my postcode - PL7 1UL -  and selected my address from the list.

This took me to https://www.bt.com/broadband/halo#!#result

Where I was told:

Halo isn't available where you live right now

So I clicked on ‘see available deals’ which took me to https://www.bt.com/products/broadband/deals where I entered my post code and selected my address.

There are just two fibre broadband deals available to me at my address and no mention of Halo at all.

I first went onto Halo 1 on 22nd February 2020 under BT ref: VOL013-************ when I was moved onto Superfast Fibre Halo 1 at £49.99 a month on a new 24 month contract; on 7th June 2021 under BT ref: VOL013-*********** this was upgraded to Halo 3 at £52.99 a month on another new 24 month contract.

My current monthly charge is £61.76.

I regularly run the speed test through the BT app and my figures are normally 49 Mbs for download and 17 Mbs for upload.

To me this confirms that although I am paying Halo prices my speeds reflect the figures indicated in the Fibre 1 range of 47-50 Mbs download.

I have got nowhere speaking to BT representatives on the phone.

Can anyone please advise, suggest or help me in getting this situation resolved. I may be wrong but as I am in a non-Halo area I should never have been moved from Fibre 1 back in February 2020, and I feel I should see a hefty refund for the three and a half years BT have charged me for having me on the Halo package.

Any help would be very gratefully received, thank you! 

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35

Re: Halo

Go to solution

@keithplympton 

Please edit out your order numbers as they are personal and private.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 35

Go to solution

Thank you for pointing out about the order numbers, and for amending my post accordingly.

I take it the post, with the order numbers removed, is still up for others to see?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution

Hi @keithplympton welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I've removed the order references as this is a public community visible to everyone on the internet. 

I'm really sorry you have reason to complain, I think there is some confusion as to what Halo 3+ actually is so I'll include this link as it explains the features of this option. I believe you and your neighbour may be mistaking it for full fibre optic broadband as Halo 3+ can be included as part of the majority of our broadband plans, it provides you with complete wifi discs and a hybrid connect modem which will activate and provide you with a 4g broadband connection should the line ever go faulty, all the benefits are listed on the above link. 

Is your complaint rather that you are currently on Fibre 2 rather than Fibre 1 due to the speeds you're getting?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution

I had a similar experience actually. I was on Halo 3+ for a couple of years but it cost a fortune, and was offered a deal to lower my package to Fibre 2 for about half the cost. I did this. Then, a week later I’m offered a deal saying I can upgrade to Halo 3+ again for just £2 a month more than the new price I was paying! Great! Except then it told me I can’t have it.

Checked my post code and it said Halo 3+ isn’t available, despite the fact I had had it for two years up until the previous month.

Dug a little further. My postcode stretches for only 19 houses. I tested every one of the house numbers as I’m at number 4. Lo and behold, from 16-19, they can get Halo 3+!

I put in a complaint explaining everything and they immediately rang me up and put me back on Halo 3+, sent me a new Hybrid Connect as I had sent the other back, and all for that £2 extra a month.

I can only assume they re-surveyed areas and restricted availability based on signal? Because yes, the Hybrid Connect 4G IS USELESS… downstairs. And upstairs. But is PERFECT in the loft. But not everyone can be guaranteed to be able to house it in their loft so perhaps that’s why in my case?

Either way I have it now and all is well. That FTTC by the way not FTTP as previous post suggested.

So my suggestion: complain until they do something, but complain to a person, because the computer says no, doesn’t mean the people will.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

Hello Neil,

Thank you for your reply and the link, which I actually visited earlier today.

My speeds, which I check randomly but also regularly, have never gone above 49Mbs for download and its has always been 17 for upload.

So, yes, as my speeds are always around the 49 mark I do believe i am on, and have been on, the wrong package for all this time. Sadly, I have never been able to get this across when I have phoned BT.

It is also a concern that the website clearly states that Halo is not available in my street and offers the two fibre options which are Fibre Essential at £26.99 a month and Fibre 1 at £28.99 a month.

Therefore, I believe I am on, and should only be paying for, Fibre 1 at £28.99, especially as Halo is not available to me.

I am happy with BT internet, but hope it is understandable that no one wishes to be paying for something they are not getting.

I appreciate anything you can do for me please.

Thank you,

Keith

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time.

I have also heard from a moderator who has taken an interest on my behalf, so I am hopefully he will be able to sort this for me.

I'll post when I hear from him.

Thanks again,

Keith

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution

Hi @keithplympton 

I am not sure that I understand you. Halo is purely an add on benefit and has nothing to do with your broadband speed.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/bt-halo/what-is-bt-halo-and-how-can-i-get-it...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution

@keithplympton 

If you have an up speed of 17mb even although your line can only support 49mb down speed  you appear to be on fibre 2 package not fibre 1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution

Thank you for your message.

I am baffled though that, in my case, the "add on" makes up £32.77 of my current £61.76 broadband bill.

When you consider Fibre 1 is currently shown as £28.99 I can't see Halo as being an "add on".

I am hoping Neil will be able to help me on this.

Cheers,

Keith

0 Ratings