cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 86

Re: New BT Email format

Upgrading Security is a 'back-office' back-ground technical thing - it shouldn't mean changes to the format of emails - it really shouldn't. As has been stated elsewhere by many - this all looks like 'change for changes sake' or (conspiracy theory alert) this is some sort of 'half-arsed' attempt to save BT money. Either that or its some sort of practice run for the web-design 'B-team'. It is not just that there are all these issues but its that nobody appears to have done any real user testing or checking. If I didnt need to keep my BT email address as I've had it for nearly 40 years, I'd be off.
0 Ratings
Message 42 of 86

@Aetius wrote:
If I didnt need to keep my BT email address as I've had it for nearly 40 years, I'd be off.

Why is that stopping you? If you leave BT you can keep your email address. It will be "downgraded" to BTMail Basic which can only be used with a web browser and not with an email client/app.

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 86

@Aetius wrote:
 Maybe it would be possible to put up a 'sticky' thread with all the various work arounds and advice on resolving issues (such as the font sizes changing or being so small - for example) in a Master List of errata? Just a though - as reading through all various threads isn't easy either.
Thanks
Mark

Like this

BT Webmail Work Arounds. - BT Community

BT Email is changing | Help | BT | BT Help

Webmail migration update - BT Community

Message 44 of 86

Leaving is exactly how I feel but I've had a BT email address for years.  Why should we compile lists of work arounds for software that is badly written?  Yet we know in our hearts that BT really don't care.  Has anyone actually complained to BT and had a response?  And if so what was it?

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 86

If you're leaving BT Broadband and want to get Basic email, you need to order it when cancelling your broadband. You can't make a direct switch later.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 86

@gg30340wrote:

@Aetiuswrote:
If I didnt need to keep my BT email address as I've had it for nearly 40 years, I'd be off.

Why is that stopping you? If you leave BT you can keep your email address. It will be "downgraded" to BTMail Basic which can only be used with a web browser and not with an email client/app.

BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

I have to thank @gg30340 in this matter. For several years I defended the use of BT's WebMail, even though there were times I had simply awful issues with it. Causing me to get numerous individual call backs from BT staff to sort out on an issue by issue basis. I was always on here moaning about it.

He kept persuading me to  use an email 'client' rather than WebMail direct. A few months back, I finally bit the bullet and downloaded Thunderbird, and used the IMAP protocol. This duplicates every single individual folder you have set up in your original WebMail.

Now, I've had this email address for over 35 years, so the very first 'sync' took almost 12 hours (over 100,000 emails).

BUT, it was so worth it. I have had not a single issue since, it's logged on robustly, writing and receiving emails are effortless. It is scary entrusting a 3rd party program to control your emails, but once you get over that initial hurdle, it's all plain sailing...

Message 47 of 86

@LizCarlisle wrote:

If you're leaving BT Broadband and want to get Basic email, you need to order it when cancelling your broadband. You can't make a direct switch later.

That is no longer the case. When you cancel your BT Broadband package your email accounts are automatically down graded to BTMail Basic.

Even if that was still the case that you had to order it, why on earth wouldn't you do that at the time of leaving if you wanted to retain your email account! 

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 86

@LizCarlisle wrote:

Leaving is exactly how I feel but I've had a BT email address for years.  Why should we compile lists of work arounds for software that is badly written?  Yet we know in our hearts that BT really don't care.  Has anyone actually complained to BT and had a response?  And if so what was it?

Try reading through the links that I posted and in particular the one  posted by the moderator regarding the problems and what BT are doing about them and you will see that they are aware of the problems and they are working on fix and update to resolve the problems.

While you are at it also read through the following link which may answer your question about has anybody complained and what the response was although the moderators post should have answered that.

BT Webmail Feedback - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 86

Then why hasn't BT sent out an email telling it's users what action it's taking?

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 86

this message was cut and pasted from BT's own site
0 Ratings