BT Usage Monitor

The Plusnet (BT subsiidiary) Usage Monitor is more sophisticated than that offered by BT. Can we please have the BT one updated to provide similar facilities. The desirable features are

1. Usage displayed ony 2hours out of date

2. Usage this month broken down on a daily basis.

3. Usage breakdown by activity showing surfing, email, streaming, FTP, Peer to Peer etc.

4. The ability to put a cap on usage so that the user does not go over their monthly allowance. 

65 Comments
Wen
Beginner
Just brought my mum an iPad and set her up with bt...she's had it one week net first timer at 67. Just had emails saying she is nearly upto her usage of 10mb It's just crazy she has an iPad that does not download as such for a week she has watched YouTube films etc...is this just a con. ..I thought it was what you downloaded not how much you viewed?? May as well end with bt if this is the case...just crazy if it's how much you view and very misleading..please tell me what she can do if anything.
toekneem
Distinguished Guru

Hi wen, you should have posted this in the broadband forums, members there might be able to give some help/advice.

Unfortunately though, watching YouTube films is classed as downloading, This is nothing to do with BT. Any ISP classes this as downloading.

Anything you read/ watch/download etc is all classed as data.

derek42
Beginner

Re BT usage monitor. Having just spent several hours yesterday afternoon/evening trying to ascertain my broadband usage without success, there is definitely room for big improvement! I pay for Option 3, and think Option 2 possibly Option 1 would be all I need. The synic in me reckons that BT usage monitor is not available to Option 3 users, because it would result in too many customers changing to a cheaper deal. I was thinking of transferring to Primus. The poor standard of the usage monitor accessibility means I am 99% likely to do so.

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
To Derek42. The usage monitor is available to all people. Sometimes it seems that it's not reachable by the usual route via MyBT. Have a look at my shortcuts (http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts) options 14d-14g, hopefully one of them will work for you.
vofsanity
Contributor

Just to give everyone a taste for what Plusnet are currently offering.

IPlus11.jpg

If you click on Usage this month

Plus21.jpg

If you click on Usage Breakdown.

PLus31.jpg

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru

If Plusnet can do it, why not its owners? It certainly looks as though it might help the not insignificant number of people who claimed they've being charged for usage they haven't used!

djh22
Recognised Expert

That's brilliant, I wish BT's was the same,it would resolve loads of usage issues.

And they've got a Brass band Smiley Happy

Del.

creon
Contributor

were these suggestions taken up for the "new" usage monitor. new look monitor it does not do anything different of value that the old one did not. i want a summary of daily use not how much usage is left! i really like the look of the plus net usage monitor, very informative.

lindsaypinz
Beginner

I would totally welcome such a tool as have just joined BT Broadband Option 1 (10GB limit) one month ago and got the unbelievable message that we'd used 24GB !! Was horrified.  Need to understand if this is correct

Aarong
Guru

I think this would be a great idea, would love to see a break down on my usage monthly goes on, although i'm on the unlimited package, it would be a very nice touch to the Usage Monitor